POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Trace() and memory : Trace() and memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Trace() and memory
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 12 Dec 2001 02:02:33
Message: <3C1700A6.28651428@gmx.de>
I've found in the docs that the new trace()-function from POV-Ray3.5
only
checks for an intersection with a declared object.

Now I'm wondering. This, if I want to check for an intersection in a
complex
scene, requires me to declare the entire scene, and thus, also to place
it using
object{}.
So, how much does this affect memory consumption?

And, while we're at it:
If I want to do an algorithm that trace()s a plane and places sphere on
top,
and does so over and over again, but is also supposed to place spheres
ON spheres just placed as well...
Do I have to create an array, in which I save the objects placed, and
call on these
again and again for each new sphere?

So, my main question is:
Is there an easy solution which provides me with a way to use trace() on
scene, alter it, and use trace() again after the alterations, without
having to
tamper around with arrays and declarations of objects en mass?

Tim